Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Brain Surgery

Friday afternoon I got a startling call from my Mom.  She has just left her MRI and was headed straight to the ER for emergency brain surgery.  She didn't know much information and she was very shaken up so I talked to her friend and I was at a loss.  I hung up the phone and I was in shock.  I had no idea what was going on and I was clear in San Diego and didn't know what to do.  After several hours of texting and calling other friends of hers I immediately booked the first flight out of Iowa.

My Mom was rushed into surgery for brain surgery.  My brother and his wife Carrie were rushing from Des Moines to the hospital to try to see her before she went into surgery.  Luckily my Mom was not alone and she had a lot of her friends there surrounding her to help her get prepared for surgery.  The priest came and gave her a last blessing and just as he was finishing my brother and Carrie made it in.  They were able to talk to her for about 5 minutes before she went into surgery.  My Mom mostly talked about where to find things if something happened to her, it must have been terrifying for my brother to listen to that.  How do you take in information you parent is giving you like they may not return.  He was strong though and kept me updated on the surgery.  I'm so glad and thankful that he and Carrie made it in.





Head wrap getting taken off
My Mom had what is called a subdural chronic hematoma-which was not even the worst of it.  The entire thing caused her brain to shift completely from her left side to her right side.  She had about 6-8 weeks of blood and fluids accumulated in there.  The surgeon drilled 3 holes into my mom's head-2 on the right side and one on the left side.  He said when they finally were able to drain, the fluids rushed out like crude oil.  The procedure went as well as it possibly could thanks to the awesome surgeon.  The cause of this is still unknown.  She had no trauma, she had just been having horrible headaches (which after 3 doctors was finally resolved as everyone told her she had ear infections!)

I was able to get in at about 5pm to the hospital the next day (Saturday).  She looked great for just having brain surgery!  I stayed with her until she fell asleep then I made my way back to her house.  It was freezing cold and a blizzard was coming.  Windchill was about -5 below.  Horrible horrible weather!

3 cuts and 1 hole for the tube
Over the last few days I've been spending time at the hospital taking care of my Mom.  My brother and Carrie left Sunday afternoon-it was great having them here to help take care of my Mom's dog Molly, her and Ella loved playing together and kept each other company.  My mom was thankful to have their support too.

New scarf!
She has been recovering well and got the tube (we call it the brain drain) out yesterday (Monday).  She had a little more than a 1/2 cup of blood that had accumulated but the doctor felt comfortable taking it out.  This morning she had another cat scan to see how things were going up there...right now we are (or at least I am) patiently waiting the results, my mom on the other hand is very jittery like usual.  Everything is a waiting game and we just are thankful that she has made it and is here with us right now.  It is a scary thought to have something happen like this so quickly.  I'm just thankful that everything has gone well so far.  It's just another reason way you should cherish every moment you have and not take anything for granted.

Thank you so much to every ones prayers and thoughts headed our way, I greatly appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment