Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Football Life

I have not been able to help out my wife much in her blogging duties as of late, so I am trying to do a little right now. We are in full swing football mode and it is crazy. I am posting this at 10:40 PM after making recruiting calls for the last hour plus (calls in Arizona and Cali because they are an hour behind us so it wasn't too late for them.) In the office by 7:00 AM and making recruiting calls until nearly 11:00, this is the life! There is some down time here and there, but not much.

I was hoping year 2 would be more smooth than year 1, but it did not turn out that way. There have been many forms of adversity in the 1st month, some I have dealt with before and many new challenges. Managing a hundred 18-22 year olds and a young staff is not an easy job, especially if you care about it and want to do it well. As I learn how to improve at my job I try to remind myself to follow all of the advice I give my players. I talk about  integrity, discipline, accountability, and mental toughness as our core values- I must remind myself constantly to live those values as well. Although there have been challenges, I believe we have a team where the vast majority are really good kids and a good staff as well. I try to remind myself that I am blessed to have the opportunity to have a positive impact on all of these people.

Of course what makes everything that much more crazy and intense is that Mimi is so very busy as well.  Not only with work, taking classes, and teaching Zumba classes at the University, but also taking care of Caden with every spare moment she has. She works very hard pretty much all day. I know it is hard on her because I cannot help as much as I would like. I try to race home right after practice to spend a little time with Caden as she leaves for Zumba. I miss Caden a lot right now. I feel so bad about not seeing him very much. Sometimes I worry he will forget who I am. A very good thing is that he goes to day care at WNMU so I make sure to get down and spend some time with him almost everyday. I am lucky to have such a supportive wife and I will continue to strive to find extra time to spend with Caden and Mimi.

It is a crazy life, but most people's lives are crazy in one way or another. I believe Mimi and I work hard and that it will pay off in the end for our family. I am grateful to have her as my wife and to have an adorable little son. I am also very lucky to have a job I care about enough to put my heart and soul into. I look forward to a great season, year, and future.

No comments:

Post a Comment